Thursday, October 22

Book Nooks and Crannies of Cabin 4226

It seems to be an unwritten maritime rule that all embellishments on a ship remind you that you are, in fact, on a ship. Admittedly, it is comforting when I catch sight of a vast expanse of water outside my window that the ship-wheeled and be-roped carpet is there to loudly remind me, "You are asea, cap'n!" Sometimes the CONSTANT UPWARD AND DOWNWARD MOTION of the ship just isn't enough.

As I mentioned in my first post, the porthole is the centerpiece of the room. But the most important feature of the cabin is clearly the luxurious upholstery pattern on the couches...

…and the carpet.

I have been trying for some time now to swap the end table and one of the couches for a larger bed (because though I may still be the height of an eight-year-old, I am 33), but to no avail. So, I have created a little book nook with the table and a couch and some postcards from Barcelona.

Unfortunately, I've read all three books in the nook, but it's a nice respite for a visiting crew member, should that crew member have any time off from directing passengers to their mustering stations or dancing in pink faux-fur to "Lady Marmalade."

The refrigerator is larger than the television, and channels are limited to CNN, Headline News, Cartoon Network, some bastardized form of TNT, and the feed from the camera mounted on the front of the ship. But I have plenty of cold beer to imbibe while Jane Velez-Mitchell and its hair shrieks at me ad infinitum.

The crowning feature of my entertainment corner, as it were, is the Samsung "World Wide Video" VCR. Fancy! I can't tell you how many times I've finished an improv show to jaunt back down to my cabin to unwind while watching a videocassette. OK, I can tell you: 0 times. The only video onboard the ship resides in the fitness center and is, hilariously, an instructional rowing tape.


1 comment: