Saturday, July 25

Egill Egilsson, Iceland

Egill Egilsson, an industrial designer in Reykjavik, Iceland, is a founder of the firm Projekt Studio. He's also a board member of the Iceland Design Centre and chairman of the Association of Icelandic Product and Industrial Designers. ("This is really funny," he says. "There are 50 of us, and we meet at cafes, but with this name it looks like it is both big and old.")

I met Egill in March when I was in Reykjavik for DesignMarch, the city's first official design week, and he was kind enough--bold enough--to host some 50 of us design junkies to his home in beautiful Kjalarnes, a quiet area of Reykjavik. As much as I loved trolling the city streets for design, a dinner party at a designer's home, accessible only by a big long bus driven by a man in an Icelandic sweater, was Homebodies heaven.

Egill lives here with his wife Elisabet and their three children, ages 3-18. The house is on land that belongs to Elisabet's family, who once ran a farm here called Varmidalur, which means warm valley. In this post are photos of the exterior, on a evening when it wasn't so warm in the valley. I'll post interior shots in the next few days.

I love Iceland. This is on the way to Kjalarnes. I wasn't kidding about the driver's sweater! I spent much of my time in Iceland considering buying one of these, especially since I landed there on my birthday. I emailed friends about it. Invited people on Facebook to vote yes or no on my related status update. But it just wasn't sitting right with me, and so I left the country without one (though I did buy a very cool scarf). In the second photo below, the mountain on the left is Helgafell, a dormant volcano.

The house is tiled with a Brazilian slate called Mustang, and Egill used stainless-steel fasteners instead of the traditional darker ones to make it more interesting. "I like it better to have the structure as a part of the final appearance," he says. "The system saves energy, because it allows for insulation between the tails and the concrete wall, which brakes the wind cooling during the winter and is substantial. The tiles fulfill my criteria: beautiful, maintenance-free and energy saving. Perfect." A 1955 Buick sits in the driveway. (Sorry I don't have a better picture of the entire house. I think I was too cold to venture out into the field of snow, but I wish I had.)

I like the doormat. Around the corner is the kitchen, from the outside. Toward the back of the house you see another home in the distance. Elisabet's parents live here.

Egill says he normally removes the decorative lights from the house in early January after the holidays, but he decided to keep them up this year. "Lights are the one of the things we use to lighten our mood during the dark winter," he says. "It definitely helps."

Interiors coming soon...!

5 comments:

  1. looks great ,really looking forward to seeing the interiors ,your really teasing us with these posts!!!
    i'd love to visit iceland, i'm from the morrissey "a dreaded sunny day" school of thought when it comes to hot weather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaboopee, I'll post some tonight! I know what you mean about Morrissey. You'd love Iceland, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz..Again, I say that I love your photos. You have beautiful angles. Always. Thanks for sharing this beauty. From Toronto Home Stager

    ReplyDelete
  4. oo it looks so nice snug and cosey in his home, that might just be due to the freezing look outside but i love it all the same! also i think that you should come to new zealand and stay at my place hehe. its not an architectual master piece but its a typical batch in a typical nz gorgeous natural beautiful setting with lots of cute little batches around it that you could checkout- plus my friends house is this amazing mud house that is to die for! long shot i know but if your ever looking at coming to nz def let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Pixie, thanks for visiting Iceland with me! If I'm ever in NZ I'll definitely look you up. :) Thanks for the offer.

    ReplyDelete